December 13, 2013

Channellock 911 Cable Cutter Model# CHL911


I already had a pair of cable cutters form Harbor Freight, paid something like 6 bucks for them, but I dinged them up by cutting some penny nails. Truth be told they weren't meant for cutting nails, they are only made for cutting non-ferrous metal like copper and aluminum. So when I saw that a set of Channellock 911’s wire cutters were on sale, I jumped on the chance to buy them, along with a set of 528 pliers and 209 Oil/PVC pliers. My main plan was to slowly change out my Chinese pliers with USA or German made ones.





My first impressions of the 911 cable cutters have all been good. They have a heft to them and open and close a lot easier then my Harbor Freight Pittsburgh ones. The Harbor Freight ones pivot point is tight, really tight, the Channellock 911 open and close smoothly. The HF is a little bigger but as you can see the cutting jaws of the 911’s opens wider than the HF ones.




Now to get down to how well they work. I did a little re-wiring in the garage, had to run some 12/3 Romex, to the outlets behind my work bench. I used the 911’s on this job, and am happy to say they cut the Romex clean through. The 911’s did not leave any jagged edges on the outer sheathing, to the credit of the HF ones they cut nice but are a pain to open. That’s the advantage to getting Channellock’s, they are a quality product, and are well made here in the USA. The only thing I would have loved to see on the description on Amazon was a description stating that they are not met to be used on steel cable. The wrench does clearly say “Not for Steel” on the jaw. Guess I’m going to have to get a special set for that. All in all I’m very pleased with the 911’s. If you see them on sale, buy the Channellock’s, you will not be disappointed.




TheToolReviewGuy Recommendation of Buy





Description


·         Designed to enable easy cutting of cables
·         Constructed from high carbon drop forged steel
·         Offers long lasting durability
·         Channellock blue comfort grips
·         100-Percent guaranteed against breakage and failure


Technical Details


Part Number
CHL911
Item Weight
14.4 ounces
Product Dimensions
11.5 x 2.9 x 0.8 inches
Origin
USA
Item model number
911

No comments:

Post a Comment

Top 10

View My Stats