August 15, 2013

Husky 40 inch Tool Chest and Cabinet Set >



Ok so I desperately needed a tool chest, but I can’t afford a Snap-on or Mac, not in a million years. They are way too expensive and for a home DIYer, it would probably be over kill, even though I wouldn't mind having one.  I had been looking to buy a Harbor Freight 44’’ top and bottom roller chest set; under the US General brand.  It’s a really nice set, has lots of room, and with the option of several add-ons make it a great box. The Harbor Freight set is normally price at around 700 bucks with coupons + tax.  Still too expensive for me, I can’t see myself dropping 700 dollars right now. 

So I kept on looking… Sears outlets, clearance boxes had nothing close to 40 inches in my price range which was 300 to 400 dollars. Lowe's was overpriced, but then I walk into Home Depot.  I see this big black shinny box, it’s the Husky 40 inch 10 drawer Tool Chest and Cabinet set. I notice it’s not built to bad. Not to great either, but not too bad for my needs. The Husky 40 inch 10 drawer Tool Chest and Cabinet set, is well, just OK. It’s not high end by any means of the imagination. Truth is, it’s an all metal cabinet, made out of thin gauge metal.









                       

                       




The Husky Tool Chest has ten 36 1/2 inch wide x 16 inch wide drawers in various depths. It has ball bearing slides and gas struts for the lid top. It is made of VERY thin gauged metal, but with my drawers fully loaded, as the pictures show, there was no sagging and the drawers roll in and out smoothly.



Now they are nowhere near the quality of let’s say Harbor Freight, and light years away from the quality of Snap-On and Mac, but for the price of $298.00, you can’t beat the storage space. Heck for that price I can get two of them compared to the Harbor Freight 44" and still have some money left over. Plus I would have almost twice the storage as the Harbor Freight 44 inch model. So do I recommend it for a professional? Not if they are going to be using it all day. Especially if your going to be moving it around 8 hours a day 5 days a week. I don’t think it would hold up to that kind of environment. For home use, I think it will do just fine. For price I got mine for, it will work for me. The blue drawer Liners that you see in the pictures are made by Pig Grippy, check out that product review.






The main down fall of the 40 Husky Tool Chest are the drawers. They are flimsy, made of very thin gauge metal. DO NOT take them out when they are loaded with tools, they will twist and warp. Also I was having problems with the locking mechanism; you have to push the drawers all the way back in order for the drawers to lock. That really isn’t a big deal for me I leave it unlocked in my garage.  If anyone wanted to get into any tool chest, I don’t care if it’s a Snap-On or a Mac, if you use a pry bar you can break in any tool chest.
Conclusion, would I recommend it for everyone, not really. It's good for home use. But for under $300 dollars, it’s a decent place to store your tools at home.


The Tool Review Guy recommendation? - Depends on your needs it works for me.







Husky 40 in. 10-Drawer Black Tool Chest and Cabinet Set HOTC4010B1ARS
Click Picture above for Current Prices at Home Depot







PRODUCT OVERVIEW


The Husky 40 in. 10-Drawer Tool Chest and Cabinet Set provides plenty of space for your tool storage needs. The top chest and bottom cabinet are both 18 in. deep and secured to each other by rear safety brackets. The full width drawers are assorted in height for storage versatility and are recessed for a flush finish. The large aluminum drawer pulls are protected by end caps for safety. The bottom drawer is extra deep for your bulk storage items and is supported by 2 pairs of 50 lbs. ball bearing slides. The heavy duty 5 in. x 2 in. casters and steel tubular side handle allow ease in moving this large tool set. 


•All-welded steel construction with an industrial powder coated finish


•19,370 cubic in tool storage capacity


•Reinforced chest lid with gas struts to assist in opening and closing of the lid


•Full extension 50 lb. rated ball bearing drawer slides for smooth operation


•Aluminum recessed side handles for the top chest and steel push bar handle for rolling cabinet


•Heavy duty 5 in. x 2 in. casters (2 swivel with brake plus 2 rigid) support up to 1000 lb.


•Keyed internal locking to secure your tools


•MFG Model # : HOTC4010B1ARS


•MFG Part # : HOTC4010B1ARS

Top 10

View My Stats